A deep sadness has fallen over Hong Kong as the city begins three days of mourning. This follows the worst residential fire the city has seen in eighty years. The fire at the Wang Fuk Court housing complex in Tai Po district has killed at least 128 people. Around 200 residents are still missing, making this one of the world's deadliest urban fire disasters in recent decades.
The terrible fire started on Wednesday afternoon. It spread very quickly through seven of the eight towers in the densely populated housing area. This required an emergency response on a scale never seen before. More than 2,000 firefighters fought the huge blaze for nearly two days before they could control it. The temperatures inside the buildings were said to have reached over 500 degrees Celsius. In a worrying discovery, fire services chief Andy Yeung confirmed that the alarm systems in the towers did not go off during the emergency.
Early investigations show that the fire began on protective netting covering the lower floors. It then spread upwards quickly because of highly flammable polystyrene panels and bamboo scaffolding. The tragedy has led to serious questions about construction safety rules. People are asking why so many flammable materials were being used on the outside of the buildings during renovation work. The city's anti-corruption agency has arrested eight people, including engineering consultants and contractors. Three construction executives are also facing manslaughter charges.
This disaster has highlighted existing worries about building safety in the crowded city. Residents had previously expressed concerns about the renovation materials, specifically about the fire safety of the green mesh covering the scaffolding. Although authorities had said the materials met safety standards, the catastrophe has made everyone question if the regulations were strict enough and properly enforced.
While the government has set up a HK$300 million relief fund to help survivors and displaced families, community groups have also organized themselves effectively. They have created supply networks and temporary shelters, using digital platforms to coordinate volunteers and share information about missing people.
As investigators continue their difficult work in the still-hot buildings, the community faces the painful task of identifying and burying the victims. With only 39 people officially identified so far, many families are in a state of agonizing uncertainty, searching hospitals and temporary morgues for their missing relatives. This event has left a deep mark on Hong Kong, raising serious concerns about urban safety in one of the world's most crowded cities.